Skip to main content

LOCAL FOOD

Did I move here at a good time!! I’m rather spoiled with all the fruit trees in the yard – mandarins, grapefruit, lemons, limes, oranges, cumquats, pomegranate &, guava. The mandarins & grapefruit were ripe when I arrived, so daily I’ve been able to pick & eat! Oh & I’ve had limonada, fresh orange juice & homemade cumquat marmalade.











I think my eating habits my need to change – for several reasons. First, what I eat. Food that was common for me in Canada is often hard to find here & when you do, it’s expensive! I paid $1.70 for a tin of mushroom soup – not going to do that very often! Second – when I eat. Meals at the school for example are at 8 AM, 1:30 PM & 7 PM & the big meal is in the middle of the day. And of course meal times also affect when one goes to shop or visit or where the workers are early afternoon.

Going to the local taco or hotdog stand is rather common, especially on the weekend. Pascual, who is tiling the casita here, has a hotdog stand Friday & Saturday night right in his front yard. 2 weeks ago we went for hotdogs, stuffed chiles & a visit (& bought a drink at the store next door). Delicious! And the neighbourhood seems to think so too.

There’s a couple big stores in Guaymas (Ley, Sorianna & Walmart on the way), but I also like the little shops in San Carlos. Santa Rosa has most anything, but if you have time & want an adventure, you can stop at a bunch of specialty shops – Tony’s for veggies, the carnaceria for meat, the panaderia next to the hotdog stand for bread, & the tortillaria for yes, tortillas – and Oxxo for snacks. And if you’re in the right place at the right time, someone will have something you can buy on the street. The other day it was asparagus & little pies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Water Feature

  I had just moved into a different house.      It was a house with a few needed repairs which the landlords were less concerned about as soon as I moved in.      But… it was home.   This fixer-upper did have new paint, a new toilet & … new sounds.      One morning, I suddenly awoke thinking “Ahhh?   That’s not rain I’ve been listening to.”      Sure enough, the “rain” was pouring off my roof.   Having experienced this in other houses, I knew it was the tinaco (water tank) on the roof overflowing.      So, I got dressed & went out to turn off the water at the street.      I wandered the yard, got sandy slippers & drew blood hitting my head on a tree branch (no glasses & still dark) only to find that this house didn’t have a street level meter & shut off tap.      Huh… Now what?      Not only was it wasting water but the water was now covering my kitchen floor.      But, who does one call for help at 6:45 on a Sunday morning?      I called my Mexican brother who ofte

Choosing Hope

  Each year in December, I ask God for a word for the coming year.  Sometimes that word stays at the forefront of my mind all year long.  Other times it’s like a New Year’s Resolution that gets attention in January but gets forgotten a few weeks or months into the year.  The word for 2019 was “Hope” which I thought was an indication of a very positive year to come.  I soon discovered that it’s in the hard things that we need, search for & hold onto hope.  And I found that to be true through the year, as several people very dear to me passed away.  I learned that true hope is not found in circumstances in which I have little or no control, but in knowing God loves me, will never leave me & has a plan much deeper than that which I see.  Those lessons have continued to strengthen me in 2020. Choice – that seemed like a positive word to start 2020.   Freedom of choice is something we all cherish.   What would I be choosing?   Maybe a different car, a new route to Canada, a Bible

Chocolate

I found Rice Krispies! What does that have to do with chocolate, you may ask? Well, last time I lived in Mexico, I had to make Rice Krispies Squares with pink & white marshmallows & Choco Krispies (yes, chocolate). Now I have a couple recipes with chocolate chips - I’ve searched high & low around here for chocolate chips, but have only found them in Walmart in Hermosillo. So, in my search for chocolate chips or a reasonable substitute, I’ve discovered there’s no lack of chocolate, I just can’t limit my search to the usual sources. I’ve seen a few chocolate bars at the stores – few enough that it should be easy to choose. Peanuts & cajeta seem to be popular fillings. The store up the street keeps them in the cooler – I can imagine they would melt on the shelf most of the year in these little unair-conditioned stores. I even found a few imports like Peanut Butter Cups, Fererro Roche & Oreos. There’s Powdered Cocoa, Chokis (cookies), & the occasional cake mix and y