Skip to main content

Pelican Cove


So, I woke up to find a stray pelican in my yard the other day.  I snapped a few pictures, excited that he was so close then discovered that while he seemed to be cautious of me, he wasn’t flying away but instead was trying to crawl under the fence.  Hmm, I soon became concerned that he was hurt but really had no idea how to help.  All I knew was that I didn’t want him to crawl under the fence where he was because I knew he would get stuck & it seemed his only way to freedom was another gap in the fence further along.  I discovered that my presence seemed to create more anxiety & confusion for him & I soon found myself back in the house cheering him on to find the gap.  “Keep going, you can do it!  No, don’t go back to where you were!  Ok, that’s good, that’s the way.  Don’t give up!  You’re almost there!  Okay, that’s it, go through that opening.  I know it doesn’t look easy, but it’s the only way.  Yay – you did it!  You’re free!” 

I wonder if this is often what happens when we get trapped in sin.  God wants for us to live in freedom & knows where the hole to freedom is (in repentance), but it’s always about choice; He doesn’t lasso us & drag us there by force.  See, most often even when we are hurting, we want our own way & don’t respond well to force.  So, He allows us to discover for ourselves that we are in fact caged in & need to get out.  In our wandering we see freedom, we long for it & try various ways to get there.  The way out has always been there but sometimes it takes time to actually see it & choose to go through it.  All the while, our Lord is watching over us, cheering us on to victory.

Yes, my pelican friend did find the gap in the fence & squeezed his way out.  And as soon as he was on the other side, it was like he had a new found confidence & courage in his freedom.  He hopped to the water & floated away in peace.  I watched till I couldn’t see him anymore, wondering what would happen to him.  It wasn’t going to be easy, freedom didn’t suddenly heal him or give him the ability to fly again.  But I have renewed confidence that the Lord cares for you & me & the pelicans, too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Water Feature

  I had just moved into a different house.      It was a house with a few needed repairs which the landlords were less concerned about as soon as I moved in.      But… it was home.   This fixer-upper did have new paint, a new toilet & … new sounds.      One morning, I suddenly awoke thinking “Ahhh?   That’s not rain I’ve been listening to.”      Sure enough, the “rain” was pouring off my roof.   Having experienced this in other houses, I knew it was the tinaco (water tank) on the roof overflowing.      So, I got dressed & went out to turn off the water at the street.      I wandered the yard, got sandy slippers & drew blood hitting my head on a tree branch (no glasses & still dark) only to find that this house didn’t have a street level meter & shut off tap.      Huh… Now what?      Not only was it wasting water but the water was now covering my kitchen floor.      But, who does one call for help at 6:45 on a Sunday morning?      I called my Mexican brother who ofte

Choosing Hope

  Each year in December, I ask God for a word for the coming year.  Sometimes that word stays at the forefront of my mind all year long.  Other times it’s like a New Year’s Resolution that gets attention in January but gets forgotten a few weeks or months into the year.  The word for 2019 was “Hope” which I thought was an indication of a very positive year to come.  I soon discovered that it’s in the hard things that we need, search for & hold onto hope.  And I found that to be true through the year, as several people very dear to me passed away.  I learned that true hope is not found in circumstances in which I have little or no control, but in knowing God loves me, will never leave me & has a plan much deeper than that which I see.  Those lessons have continued to strengthen me in 2020. Choice – that seemed like a positive word to start 2020.   Freedom of choice is something we all cherish.   What would I be choosing?   Maybe a different car, a new route to Canada, a Bible

ADVENTURES

Some of you may remember that last time I was here, I had an unknown late night visitor “Amigo! Amigo!” Well, 11:15 Saturday night I again had a visitor . This one was quieter but rather persistent & stayed at my door looking in for about 15 minutes. I want to be hospitable but this cat showed up a bit late for niceties. Yes, it was a cat! He looked well fed & groomed so I assumed he had a home to return to & encouraged him to leave. Last weekend we went 4 hours northeast to a place called Banamichi . We flew there (well, Brian was driving) on Friday & returned Sunday. Sat afternoon was the side trip to the Aguas Calientes (hot springs) in Aconchi . Have you even driven in a riverbed? Let’s just say you don’t go to the hot springs in rainy season! We all laughed as we bounced along the “road”, passing 2 men sitting in a field, men on horseback with their dogs following along & cows fighting over who knows what through & in the dry riverbed. 14 pesos