Skip to main content

Outside Sounds

What did you hear outside yesterday? You may think my life is surrounded by nature sounds like frogs & birds, but I also hear trucks & planes & “city”. Also, there is no lack of microphones & loud (very loud) speakers around. Even the smallest of churches seem to have a sound system. But not only are they used inside church or the clubs, they are also common outdoors. Here's a few uses I've come across. Stores downtown play music & advertise - someone is hired to entice you into the store by telling of the offers - all day long. Or if you live in a community away from el centro, you will hear the vendors throughout the day as they pass by in truck, cars & tricycles selling water, gas, ice cream, tortillas, fruit... "Uvas, solo 10 pesos 1 kilo, uvas solo 10 pesos hoy!" Sometimes it's an announcer, sometimes it's a song. Or one vendor (water I think) reads the news headlines as they drive the streets.

And it doesn't stop at night. It's very common to hear music & the DJ from the clubs near the beach or private party places in the neighbourhood till very late (early). And if you had a couple lanterns & the wind's right, you could have your own party, dance the night away & not spend a centavo on electricity. In the past our church has had 2 events which they've "shared" with the community. One was a music/worship night, the other was a reading night. We have some good musicians who cover various styles of music with great lyrics & an occasional introduction or prayer to pull it all together. The reading night for me was something new. They got together & taking turns, read the whole book of Matthew. Sometimes we forget the power of the Word of God alone - without all our thoughts added in. What a simple method of evangelism.

And you guessed it, no one (at least not the Mexicans) seems to really be bothered by the unsolicited sharing, no matter what it is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Water Feature

  I had just moved into a different house.      It was a house with a few needed repairs which the landlords were less concerned about as soon as I moved in.      But… it was home.   This fixer-upper did have new paint, a new toilet & … new sounds.      One morning, I suddenly awoke thinking “Ahhh?   That’s not rain I’ve been listening to.”      Sure enough, the “rain” was pouring off my roof.   Having experienced this in other houses, I knew it was the tinaco (water tank) on the roof overflowing.      So, I got dressed & went out to turn off the water at the street.      I wandered the yard, got sandy slippers & drew blood hitting my head on a tree branch (no glasses & still dark) only to find that this house didn’t have a street level meter & shut off tap.      Huh… Now what?      Not only was it wasting water but the water was now covering my kitchen floor.      But, who does one call for help at 6:45 on a Sunday morning?      I called my Mexican brother who ofte

Choosing Hope

  Each year in December, I ask God for a word for the coming year.  Sometimes that word stays at the forefront of my mind all year long.  Other times it’s like a New Year’s Resolution that gets attention in January but gets forgotten a few weeks or months into the year.  The word for 2019 was “Hope” which I thought was an indication of a very positive year to come.  I soon discovered that it’s in the hard things that we need, search for & hold onto hope.  And I found that to be true through the year, as several people very dear to me passed away.  I learned that true hope is not found in circumstances in which I have little or no control, but in knowing God loves me, will never leave me & has a plan much deeper than that which I see.  Those lessons have continued to strengthen me in 2020. Choice – that seemed like a positive word to start 2020.   Freedom of choice is something we all cherish.   What would I be choosing?   Maybe a different car, a new route to Canada, a Bible

ADVENTURES

Some of you may remember that last time I was here, I had an unknown late night visitor “Amigo! Amigo!” Well, 11:15 Saturday night I again had a visitor . This one was quieter but rather persistent & stayed at my door looking in for about 15 minutes. I want to be hospitable but this cat showed up a bit late for niceties. Yes, it was a cat! He looked well fed & groomed so I assumed he had a home to return to & encouraged him to leave. Last weekend we went 4 hours northeast to a place called Banamichi . We flew there (well, Brian was driving) on Friday & returned Sunday. Sat afternoon was the side trip to the Aguas Calientes (hot springs) in Aconchi . Have you even driven in a riverbed? Let’s just say you don’t go to the hot springs in rainy season! We all laughed as we bounced along the “road”, passing 2 men sitting in a field, men on horseback with their dogs following along & cows fighting over who knows what through & in the dry riverbed. 14 pesos